Welcome!

Weird=Normal and Other True Stories is a compilation of my day-to-day dealings with the public. Every moment of my life has the opportunity to become a full-on exaggeration of "Really, that just happened?" and other crazy, yet perfectly normal facets of everyday life. My goal is to entertain you, and to provide you with stories (and moments) that you are able to relate to. Trust me, the weirder it seems, the more normal you (and I) are...

I hope you enjoy!

-Freeway Fairington

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Doctor's Orders!

Originally published in the December, 2011 edition of The Canton Local.  Please visit www.readthelocal.com to subscribe!


Yesterday, I heard the words that no woman wants to hear from her doctor (or any man, really), "You need to lose 20 pounds. Exercise more, push away from the table, or before you know it, you'll be 300 pounds.". Ouch, way to sugar-coat it, doc!

Now, here's the good part: I was actually here to see the doctor for the very reason that I was inexplicably gaining weight. I stopped taking an antidepressant medication in August, and had been packing on the pounds ever since.

My question to him was what do I do to lose the weight? I'm already working out with a trainer several days a week and on a low calorie diet, yet I'm still gaining weight. No, there was no suggestion for a diet pill, no recommendation for any type of alternative supplement, heck, not even a prescription for something like Phentermine.  He just answered by telling me I was fat. Cue in tiny violin and a tear here. All joking aside, the fact that my own doctor confirmed my fears of being overweight has me on an emergency health-kick bender.



When I told my trainer the doctor’s, ahem, advice (I’m sorry, I’m still attempting to find the positive in his comment), her comment to me was, “We can do this!”  Little did I know that her words of “encouragement” meant starving myself to death, drinking several gallons of water a day, and working out twice a day (at least).  Really, she wants me to spend all extra minutes of my day doing lunges and sidekicks at work.  Did I mention she makes me do exercises with weird names, like Starfish?  Um, really?

Not only will I be working out 7 days a week, I'm now on a strict vegetarian diet. (Just don't tell my boyfriend I found the brownies!).  Actually, on second thought, maybe I’ll just go shopping for new clothes.  That sure seems easier…

Follow my blog at
www.freewayfairington.blogspot.com for updates on my weight loss crusade (or just plain old commentary on my realistic venture to do so…).

In good health,
Freeway Fairington

No comments:

Post a Comment