Welcome!

Weird=Normal and Other True Stories is a compilation of my day-to-day dealings with the public. Every moment of my life has the opportunity to become a full-on exaggeration of "Really, that just happened?" and other crazy, yet perfectly normal facets of everyday life. My goal is to entertain you, and to provide you with stories (and moments) that you are able to relate to. Trust me, the weirder it seems, the more normal you (and I) are...

I hope you enjoy!

-Freeway Fairington

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Wait, What Did You Just Call Me?!

This Blog was originally published in the February edition of The Canton Local.  To read columns contributed by talented authors (such as myself) and to keep up with your local community please visit www.readthelocal.com and subscribe!


I realized the other day that I am at a stage in my life worse than the dreaded Tweens.  This moment of realization came precisely at the moment when a woman just a few years older than me called me “girl”.  I wasn’t sure whether I should be offended or if I should take it as a compliment.  I chose the latter after cringing at the thought of my 19 year old employee calling me “ma’am” just a couple days prior to this incident.


I must say that while I think of myself as young enough to never, EVER be called “ma’am”, I feel much too old to be referred to as “girl”.  While my nightly routine consists of two Advil and some eye cream, I’ll admit it-I still buy my jeans in the Juniors section of the department store.  There’s definitely no denying the fact that this stage of my life feels almost as awkward as my adolescent years.  I mean, what exactly is an under-30, over-25 year old woman considered?  I’ve been thinking about this for nearly five days now, and I still have no idea.


Even the mirror doesn’t really clearly define the answer.  I keep searching for tell-tale signs of new wrinkles, hoping this would determine why someone who isn’t even a full nine years younger than me would call me “ma’am”…nothing yet.  On the flip side, I consider the fact that I’m often referred to as “girl” or “kid” could have to do with the fact that I usually wear my hair pulled back and forego makeup.  But surely, I must look older with no makeup on.  I even mentioned my paranoia with being called any of the aforementioned words to my boyfriend.  All I received in the form of feedback from him was a blank stare and a headshake.


So it looks like I’m stuck in this transitional phase for at least another year or two.  Maybe then I’ll be confident enough to rock Mom Jeans a ‘la Jessica Simpson to clarify my age.  Until then…


Not quite a girl, not yet a woman,


Freeway Fairington

No comments:

Post a Comment