Welcome!

Weird=Normal and Other True Stories is a compilation of my day-to-day dealings with the public. Every moment of my life has the opportunity to become a full-on exaggeration of "Really, that just happened?" and other crazy, yet perfectly normal facets of everyday life. My goal is to entertain you, and to provide you with stories (and moments) that you are able to relate to. Trust me, the weirder it seems, the more normal you (and I) are...

I hope you enjoy!

-Freeway Fairington

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Speedo Nation

Note:  This Blog was originally featured in the January edition of The Canton Local.  Please visit www.readthelocal.com to subscribe!


On December 10th, I returned from a tropical paradise (aka Barbados, located in the West Indies) to freezing cold weather at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport. While I was prepared for the shock back to Winter reality at home, there was truly no preparation for the "shock" of bathing suit choices I witnessed during my vacation.

Example One:
While many states, foreign countries, and private beaches allow topless bathing, thankfully the government of Barbados does not. This, however, did not prevent a woman my grandmother's age from flaunting her sagging chest through a sheer "cover-up" (hey, at least she had bottoms on). And then, who could forget the lady (I use this term loosely) who spent half an afternoon oblivious to the fact that she was flashing the entire beach? Darn those Rum Punches!

Example Two:
Speedos. Need I say more? Now, here in the States, we all have the experience of seeing men in Speedos from time to time. Usually, they are foreigners visiting the US or body builders. BUT...in Barbados, nearly ALL of the men on the beach were European and flaunting what their daddy's (or mama's?) gave them. I have no problem with Speedos if the person wearing them has the appropriate body to do so, however, when your gut and man boobs overlap what exactly you're trying to show off...well, dear men, it's time for some swim trunks and a t-shirt out of courtesy for others.

In fact, the sheer number of men in Speedos prompted my travel companions and I to snap numerous photos (immature, yes I know)...all I know is that next time I will be mentally prepared for what is clearly a Speedo Nation. Either that, or I'll stick to vacationing in the US.

And for the record, yes, I was kind enough to wear a one piece or tankini so as not to disgust any strangers on the beach. See, when you stay somewhere all-inclusive, that rum and food tends to sit straight in your stomach creating what I call a "Rum Baby Belly".

My advice to you men (here and abroad), please forego the Speedos and leave SOMETHING to the imagination...

On behalf of women everywhere,
Freeway Fairington

No comments:

Post a Comment